Saturday, May 9, 2015

Mother's Day Hand-Painted Flowers

Since it's Mother's Day I thought I would share with you all the absolutely adorable craft my son made this year! Every Mother's Day since Jackson was born we have made "handmade" cards and/or crafts for Grandma, Nana, Great Mama and Great Grandma. I usually scope out Google for free printable cards since cards cost a small fortune nowadays. Or I actually make a card of my own, with Jacksons help of course. I think homemade presents for a holiday like this are much more special and have way more meaning than a store bought card and a bouquet of flowers.

This year is no different. I wasn't even looking for Mother's Day ideas and I happened upon a great idea from The Trendy Treehouse for making paper lily flowers from handprints. It was the perfect simple yet sentimental craft for Mother's Day.

I, of course put my own spin on this craft.  A few weeks ago I had picked up some water color pencils from Michaels. I loved the concept and was eager to see how they worked so I decided to let Jackson be my Guinea pig. He was excited to "paint" and make something for all of the Grandmas. 

First I traced his hand all over some thick water color paper with crayons since I knew crayon would not wash away with water. 


Next I handed him the pencils and he colored all the hands in typical spastic toddler fashion.


After he was satisfied with how his coloring looked I gave him a paintbrush and he "painted" with water all over his drawings.


I liked how the water color pencils were mess free and easy to use. I can't wait to try them myself with a detailed drawing turned into a water color painting!


After the hands were dry I cut them all out and wrote Happy Mother's Day 2015 love Jackson on the fingers. I also made a get well soon lily for Jackson's cousin Christy who just had surgery.



 I then rolled the bottom into a loose tube. I taped that together to form the base of the lily flower. I then curled all of the fingers out and slightly down to look like lily petals.


 Lastly I made a stem out of green pipe cleaners and twisted some different colored pipe cleaners for the stamen to complete the lily flower.



 I love how the lilies turned out and so does Jackson! They look great as a bouquet and I would love to keep them all but we made these for all the wonderful Mother's in our lives and they should get to enjoy them too.




I did make myself one so I could be reminded of how small Jackson's hands were this year and they are just so darn cute that I had to have one! Happy Mother's Day to all of you Mama's out there! Enjoy your day!

-Sherri





3 comments:

  1. Such a cute & easy idea for little ones to create! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan! If you have more than one little one, like you ;), you could make a whole bouquet of lilies that would be different sizes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Blogger template designed By Sherri.